ACA Will Play Role In November Elections, But Might Not Get The Lead

The health reform law will be a contributing factor in how Americans vote in the November elections. But it might not be the deciding factor that some believe it will be, according to a recent survey. Nearly seven in 10 Americans (68 percent) say the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) will play a role in deciding how they vote in the U.S. House elections this fall, according to a new Bankrate.com report. Of the 68 percent that say the ACA will factor into their voting decisions, 32 percent of Americans say they will be more likely to vote Republican and 26 percent say they are more likely to vote Democrat.

“Perhaps surprisingly, these results indicate that the messy launch of Obamacare won’t be as detrimental for Democrats or as much of a slam-dunk for Republicans in future elections as some analysts previously suggested,” said Bankrate.com insurance analyst Doug Whiteman.

The survey also found the following:

• Sixty-one percent of those who identified themselves as Republicans said the ACA will be a major factor in how they vote for the U.S. House this fall, versus 40 percent of Democratic respondents and 41 percent of independents.

• Seventy-eight percent of those earning $50,000 a year or more say the health law will have either a major or minor impact on how they vote, compared with 61 percent of respondents making less than $30,000.

• Men and women feel about the same when it comes to ACA and the election. Among men, 69 percent say the ACA will be a factor in how they vote. Among women, it’s 68 percent.

Many favor changes. After the new Congress starts in January 2015, over half of Americans (52 percent) would like to see them make minor or major changes to the ACA. And 30 percent of Americans want the new Congress to repeal ACA completely, for a total of 82 percent who want to change the law in some fashion. Only 12 percent of Americans want to keep the law exactly as it is now.

For more information, visit http://www.bankrate.com/finance/insurance/health-insurance-poll-0614.aspx.
Visit our News Library to read more news stories.