The Illinois Department of Revenue has updated two informational publications that provide guidance on personal income withholding tax payment and reporting requirements. Technical changes have been made to Publication 130, which covers:
• who is an employer;
• employer registration requirements;
• who is an employee;
• when withholding must occur;
• withholding thresholds and requirements for payments of lottery or gambling winnings;
• withholding forms; and
• the effect of business ownership and other business changes.
New information has been added to Publication 131, which explains when and how to make withholding tax payments and file withholding returns. Additional guidance is provided on the following:
• who must file Illinois withholding returns, Form IL-941;
• a schedule of due dates for withholding tax returns and payments;
• examples of how to calculate withholding tax payments; and
• electronic payment options.
Taxpayers assigned to the semi-weekly schedule must make all payments electronically. (Publication-130, Who is Required to Withhold Illinois Income Tax, Illinois Department of Revenue, February 2015, released April 6, 2015; Publication-131, Withholding Income Tax Payment and Filing Requirements, Illinois Department of Revenue, February 2015, released April 6, 2015.)
For more information on this and other topics, consult the Visit our News Library.