The Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) reminded employers at the American Payroll Association’s (APA) 33rd Annual Congress recently held in Las Vegas, Nevada, that electronic child support orders are mandatory by October 1, 2015. The requirement was included in the Preventing Sex Trafficking and Strengthening Families Act, H.R. 4980 (P.L. 113-183) and was signed by the President on September 29, 2014 (see Payroll Management Guide Report Letter 2382, dated December 2, 2014). Employers collect over 70% of all child support through income withholding orders (IWO). OCSE worked with states and employers to automate the income withholding process with electronic income withholding orders (e-IWO).
- Uses Secure File Transfer Protocol to send electronic-IWOs;
- IWOs are not sent via e-mail;
- A centralized process through OCSE that eliminates the need for individual state processes;
- Saves time and money.
- System-to-System – Large employers can benefit by fully automating the process to receive files electronically, or
- No Programming Option (NPO) – (1) easy to implement with limited resources required, and (2) receive IWOs in .pdf format and respond easily using a spreadsheet or fillable .pdf document
For more information on this and other topics, consult the Visit our News Library.