Self-insured employers must file ACA information returns

All employers that provide self-insured health coverage to their employees must file an annual health coverage information return for coverage provided in 2015, regardless of the employer’s size, the IRS has recently advised. Filing requirements are as follows:

• A Form 1095-B, Health Coverage accompanied by a Form 1094-B transmittal, must be sent to the IRS.

• Those with more than 250 Forms 1095-B must e-file, and those with fewer than 250 are encouraged, but not required, to do so.

A copy of the Form 1095-B must be provided to the responsible individual, which is generally the primary insured, employee, parent, or uniformed services sponsor. It may be furnished electronically.
Information reported to the IRS must include the following:

• The name, address, and employer identification number of the provider;

• The responsible individual’s name, address, and taxpayer identification number, or date of birth if a TIN is not available. If the responsible individual is not enrolled in the coverage, providers may, but are not required to, report the TIN of the responsible individual; and

• The name and TIN, or date of birth if a TIN is not available, of each individual covered under the policy or program and the months for which the individual was enrolled in coverage and entitled to receive benefits.

Applicable large employers

Applicable large employers, or ALEs, that provide self-insured coverage must report on Form 1095-C, which combines reporting for two provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) (P.L. 111-148) instead of Form 1095-B. ALEs should review Publication 5196, Reporting Requirements for Applicable Large Employers.
Health coverage providers must file the information returns with the IRS and furnish statements to individuals starting in 2016, reflecting coverage information in calendar year 2015. The IRS also advises that employers who provide self-insured coverage review IRS Publication 5125, Responsibilities for Health Coverage Providers. (IRS Health Care Tax Tip 2015-42, July 21, 2015.)

For more information on this and other topics, consult the Visit our News Library.