The Social Security Administration (SSA) has updated the electronic filing specifications for Forms W-2. The changes are summarized below:
• The Location Address Field (positions 274-295) of the RA Submitter Record is no longer a required field.
• Section 6.0 AcccuWage Software: The AccuWage 2015 application has been updated to include both AccuWage and AccuW2C in one application. The SSA recommends that wage submitters uninstall prior versions of AccuWage and AccuW2C before downloading the software for the current tax year.
• Section 16.0 Appendix H: Maximum Wage and Tax Table has been modified to include tax year 2015 Social Security wage amount changes, including household wages.
• The Social Security Wage Base for tax year 2015 is $118,500.
• The employer and employee tax rate for Social Security will be withheld at 6.2 percent (up to $7,347.00).
• The 2015 Social Security and Medicare coverage threshold for Household employees is $1,900.
• Some editorial changes and corrections for clarification have also been made.
The SSA will return electronic and paper wage reports which contain a W-2 with any of the following conditions:
• Medicare Wages and Tips less than the sum of Social Security Wages and Social Security Tips;
• Social Security Tax greater than zero and Social Security Wages and Social Security Tips equal to zero; and
• Medicare Tax greater than zero and Medicare Wages and Tips equal to zero.
For household employment:
• Sum of Social Security Wages and Social Security Tips less than the yearly minimum for coverage; and
• Medicare Wages and Tips less than the yearly minimum for coverage.
If the condition occurs, SSA will notify submitters and employers by e-mail or postal mail to correct their wage reports and resubmit to SSA. To ensure prompt notification, please verify that your e-mail address in the RA Record is correct and complete. (Social Security Administration Publication No. 42-007, EFW2 Tax Year 2015.)