USCIS has issued the new Form I-9. Employers may continue using Form I-9 dated 03/08/2013 N. through January 21, 2017. Beginning January 22, 2017, employers must use the revised form. Employers should continue to retain and store previously completed forms for existing and former employees in accordance with guidance provided on the I-9 Central website. The form is reproduced in this Report Letter on Pages 5—8.
Changes to note
• Employees only need to provide other last names used in Section 1, rather than all names used.
• The certification in Section 1 for certain foreign nationals takes less time to complete.
• There are additional spaces to enter multiple preparers and translators.
• There is a dedicated area to enter additional information that employers have been required to notate in the margins of the form.
When the revised Form I-9 is completed on a computer, users will see:
• Checks to certain fields to ensure information is entered correctly.
• Drop-down lists and calendars
• Instructions on the screen that users can access to complete each field.
• Buttons that will allow users to access the instructions electronically, print the form, and clear the form to start over.
Employers should continue to follow the existing storage and retention rules for all of their previously completed Forms I-9. Read the USCIS News Release, and visit the I-9 Central website for more information. (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, communication November 16, 2016.)
Visit our News Library to read more news stories.